Back Acne, also known as Bacne occurs on shoulders, upper arms, back even on the chest. Back acne mostly happens when excess sebum due to sweating clogs the pore. It attracts the bacteria making it inflamed. And what makes the matter worse in back acne is that it is hard to reach your back for cleaning and scrubbing. Males suffer from Back acne more often than Woman does.
What to do?
- If it is mild to moderate you can try dealing it with yourself.
- For severe acne like a cyst, consult your dermatologist.
- Take a shower after exercise and gym.
- Increase your intake of Vitamin A, E, D and zinc because lack of them leads to acne.
- Drink 7-8 glasses of water.
1. Benzoyl Peroxide soap/ Salicylic Acid Wash
Use benzoyl peroxide 2.5% to 10% soap or Salicylic acid wash to cleanse your back. Keep the lather for a few minutes on the affected area and then wash with normal water. Pat dry. A few soaps/ wash available in markets are:
- Acnestar Soap
- Perobar Soap
- Dermadew Acne Soap
- Panoxyl 4% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Creamy Wash
- Topix Benzoyl Peroxide 10
- Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash for Clean Clear Skin
- Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash Pink Grapefruit
2. Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% Gel
Apply BP 2.5% or 5% gel on the affected area and let it dry. Use old t-shirt as it might bleach your clothes. Acne will start healing in 2-3 days. If it is drying then use aloe vera gel to soothe the area.
You can use salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide simultaneously. Just remember to use the concentration you are able to tolerate. If you are new to both then opt for lower concentration i.e 2.5% for BP and 1% for Salicylic acid.
Tips to Remember
- Use the treatment for a month before giving up.
- If it doesn’t help you how then contact you doctor for combined treatment.
- Don’t touch affected area with hands.
- Take multivitamin supplements If you are not getting enough nutrition from daily food.
- Some lotion and washes lead to acne. Keep a check on your products.