Neck pain is not so uncommon of a problem. Hectic lifestyle and advanced technology make you almost robotic sitting on a desk staring at computer screens for hours. And sooner you end up with stiff neck and shoulder.
In most, cases it gets better with a little movement and exercise in a few days. But in some, it becomes problematic and needs medical attention.
My mother suffered from cervical pain for years. Oral medicines, injections, neck brace pillow, and physiotherapy – you name it and she had already been through that door already.
While these all treatment provided only temporary relief, she was desperate to try anything that will give her some sort of relief. The pain was unbearable. We could see on her face.
What Causes Neck Pain?
- Poor posture (Commonly while sleeping)
- Muscle Strain (Mostly happen at work or during)
- Abnormality in bones
- Tumor or any other disease
- Neck pain can also be a symptom of heart attack
These were a few reason of many. Generally, cervical disc in neck absorbs sharp movement and shocks between the bones. These bones along with muscles and ligaments support the head and allow smooth movements. But when there is any reason like above you may feel the pain.
If it is just bad posture or strain of muscles then it will go in a few days but if not then a visit to a doctor is the only wise option. Only a doctor can tell the severity of your problem and line of treatment it needs.
Meanwhile, you can always try home remedies that are proven to be effective over time.
Natural Remedy For Neck Pain And Shoulder Pain
Ginger and Garlic are two ingredients that I trust for the cervical pain, neck, shoulder, and back pain.
Must read: Home Remedies for Back Pain.
I find garlic works faster than the other fellow remedies. You can include it into your diet but then you have to eat it in excess to actually see it working. If you don’t like eating garlic then prepare an oil infused with garlic to treat neck pain.
- Take 5 cloves of garlic
- 30 ml Oil – Mustard, Sesame, Olive oil
Now heat oil in a pan and add chopped garlic to it. Let the cloves fry till they are brown. Let it cool down. You can store it for a few days but make sure to reheat it before application.
Massage this lukewarm oil onto the affected area for a few minutes. Do it twice a day for 15 days.
Ginger is an anti-inflammatory herb that improves blood circulation in the affected area. There are two ways you can use ginger for neck pain.
- Ginger Tea – Cut a 2 inch of ginger into small pieces. Simmer it on low flame in two cups of water for 10 minutes. Wait for the water to reduce to half. Strain the tea it and add honey. Drink this brew 3-4 times a day for a few days.
- Ginger Compress – Grate a 2-3 inch of fresh ginger. Put it in cheese cloth. Boil water in a pan. Dip the cheese cloth with ginger in water for 30 seconds. Let it cool for a few second. Apply the warm compress on the affected area for a few minutes. Do it 2-3 times a day for a few days.
Turmeric is well-known for its anti-inflammatory property. Indians have been using turmeric for ages for its healing property. Injury and turmeric go hand in hand in India. It is easy to prepare.
Heat a pan and add a glass of milk. Mix a teaspoon of turmeric to the milk. Let it simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Remove the pan and let it cool down. Add some honey to make it taste better.
Drink it twice a day for a few days till your pain is gone completely.
Tips to remember:
- Maintain proper posture while sitting, sleeping and working.
- Working straight hours? Take a minute or two to flex your muscles of your neck and shoulder.
- Do exercise regularly. Twice a week is good enough.
- Don’t strain yourself unnecessarily like carrying heavy backpack, loads, moving furniture.
- A simple hot bath and compress can relieve the stress of day-to-day life.
P.S – It has been years my mother never complained about her neck again. And people who tried it vouch for this home remedy.