I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles. – Audrey Hepburn
The protecting layer on lips is thinner than any other part of the body. And, that makes them more susceptible to harms -UV rays, smoking, drinking and chemicals in cosmetics to name a few. It leaves them dark and chapped. Changing a few habits in daily life can help prevent further damage to the lips.
What to do?
- Have enough vitamin E into your daily diet.
- Do not lick your lips.
- Keep them moisturised.
Saffron is rich in vitamin A, B and C. It is known for its lightening and brightening effect.
Skim some butter from fresh yoghurt. Take a teaspoon of butter and mix a few strands of saffron into it. Apply it on your lips daily and see the difference in a week.
Lemon has earned its place in lightening skin products and lip balms. It is packed with Vitamin C, B and citric acids. They call it Lemon Extract.
There are two ways to use lemon and sugar to lighten dark lips:
- Cut a slice of fresh lemon from the end and sprinkle fine sugar on the top of it. Scrub your lips gently in circular motion for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle some more sugar as you go. Wash with cold water and apply lip balm. Do it every day for a week for soft pink lips. If it tingles too much then every other day.
- Some find the sugar granules harsh for scrubbing. Cut a slice of fresh lemon and sprinkle some sugar on top of it. Let it sit for a few minutes till the sugar melts. Now scrub your lips with that for 2-3 minutes in the circular motion. Wash with cold water afterwards. In addition, don’t forget to apply lip balm for moisturisation. You can even melt the sugar in lemon juice and use it with squeezed lemon peel for scrubbing.
Wash some fresh mint leaves and grind them smoothly to get a teaspoon of mint juice. It is loaded with Vitamin A and C. Now, mixes a few drops of lemon juice to it.
Take a cotton ball and soak it in the juice. Gently pat it on your lips for 5 minutes. Do it for a few days to see a visible change in your lips. Mint juice hydrates the lips and makes them look smoother and plumper.
4. Beet Root
Beetroot is packed with Vitamin A and B. It has got a very good blood red tint to it. Many use it for a daily stain on lips. Take a teaspoon of plain butter and mix a few drops of beetroot juice into it.
Grate a piece of beetroot. Take a teaspoon of plain butter and mix a few drops of beetroot juice into it. Apply it daily to see a difference in a week.
5. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is an age old secret of grandmothers. It is as easy as it is old. Put 2 drops of mustard oil into your belly button at bedtime and wake up with hydrated soft lips. Do it for a week daily for soft pink lips.
6. Some Tricks
- Slit a Vitamin E capsule and apply it directly on your lips before bedtime.
- Vitamin E rich diet gives you pink lips without much effort.
- For smokers, mix strawberry juice into the baking soda and scrub your lips for a minute. You can directly apply strawberry juice onto your lips for pink lips.
- Use Honey mixed with baking soda to remove dead skin on lips effectively. Don’t forget to apply lip balm after that.
Tips to Remember:
- Protecting lips is the key to get red-pink lips.
- Always apply SPF of 15-30 while out in the sun.
- Scrubbing dead skin from lips gives a new base for home remedies. So, Scrub twice or thrice a week.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated.
- Lips can be genetically dark. So, it may not give the desired result you seek.
- Some medication can cause dark lips. If your lips are dark due to some medical condition then it will take more time to lighten.