Overripe fruit is a story of every week. They may not be the prettiest sight but they still do have many things to offer. Overripe fruits are packed with many helpful compounds. So, don’t just throw them yet. Try these ideas before you think otherwise.
1. Make Smoothies
Fruits become sweeter and softer as they ripen. Though, overripe fruits don’t look picture perfect. They make a great smoothie. According to a study, they are packed with many helpful compounds. For example, overripe brown spotted Banana is packed with more antioxidants. Antioxidants lower the risk of certain diseases by preventing cell damage. Apples and Pears have the higher level of antioxidants called nonfluorescent chlorophyll catabolites when crossed the level of ripening.
2. Face Mask
As overripe fruits are packed with antioxidant, they make a very good face mask. Don’t throw your overripe fruit and try these homemade overripe fruit mask to get the best out of them.
- Orange and lime are rich in citric acid and well-known for their skin lightening property.
- Papaya has papain enzyme and used in many soaps and facial for its brightening and lightening effect.
- Strawberry is rich in salicylic acid (beta hydroxy acid)
- Blackberry and tomatoes are loaded with lactic acid.
- Apple is packed with malic acid.
Grind fruits of your choice to the pulp and apply on your face and neck before washing with cold water. Papaya and orange together make a very good skin lightening face mask.
3. Hair Mask
Banana and avocado are extensively used in hair mask for years. Mix a tablespoon of olive oil in hair mask to make hydrate dry hair and make them softer and shinier. Malic acid present in apple is perfect for hair loss. Apart from that, it imparts shine to the hair. Apply apple juice to hair and wait till it dries. Now, massage your hair with castor oil for hair loss treatment.
While making cakes and pastries, try overripe fruits like strawberry, berries and kiwis. They will add an extra dash of sweetness and flavour to your baking. Grind fruits to make a puree and add it to your bread for a flavoured taste. Jam of overripe fruit tastes even better.
5. Add Freshness
Lemon and orange peels make great smelling potpourri. Add peel to dustbin to remove the odour. To make your leather jacket and shoe shine, rub banana peel to leather for a fresher and shinier look.
Tips to remember:
- There is a difference between rotten and overripe.
- Remove the rotten part before using the fruit.
- Diabetic people should not use overripe fruits as they are rich in sugar.